Recognising Birmingham’s wealth of young talent through art.
Our youth arts competition is back for a second year and promises to be bigger and better than before! Inspire’17 will feature over one hundred selected art entries across our prestigious Bridge Gallery at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, showcasing work submitted by children and young people aged 5-19 living in the West Midlands.
To be in with a chance of winning one of our three tablets, we are asking children and young people to submit their work to our panel of judges comprising arts specialists and our very own youth panel, Ignite.
There are three age categories this year and one winner will be selected from each. They are:
- 5-9 years
- 10-14 years
- 15-19 years
The theme for this year’s competition is:
Art for future Birmingham – What art would you make today for the people of tomorrow?
We want a broad range of art to be seen and welcome entries that use:
- Creative writing
- Mixed media artwork
- Street art
- Digital artwork including film
- Performance/spoken word
How to enter
- Enter your artworks by email only to Inspire17@birminghammuseums.org.uk by 5pm on Wednesday 7th June .
- Please include the following details in your email:
- Your name and age
- Your postcode
- A statement that tells a short story about your art (35-50 words max)
- If you are under 18, please also include an email address for a parent or guardian.
Sending your work to us
Before you get started, remember to take a look at our handy guide of how to get your work digital and over to us.
- Send us your artwork as good quality photograph or scan. This must be JPEG or PDF file. If you do not have a digital copy of your art we can’t judge it, so remember to use our handy guide to find the best way to capture your art digitally.
- Sculpture and fashion - please submit a 20-50 second video in a .mov or M-peg format.
- Digital artworks, film and performance - please upload a clip to YouTube and submit a link.
- The judges will select three winners, one from each age category who will win a tablet and have their work centre stage in the summer show at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery opening July 1st.
- Other shortlisted artworks will also be put on display in the Bridge Gallery at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
- You must live in the West Midlands and be aged 5-19.
- The closing date is Wednesday 7th June. Entries received after this time will not be submitted to the competition.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes will not be exchanged or refunded and there is no cash alternative.
- Artworks may be used for marketing and promotion purposes.
Take a look at some selected images of last year’s entries in the gallery below: